Weaving / Coating
SMC maintains Dornier looms and associated equipment for weaving Aramid fabrics. Fabric produced in-house is generally for internal consumption and low quantity orders. SMC also has the capability to scour, water repellant treat and coat aramid fabric with PVB/Phenolic resin.
- Benniger Sectional Warper, 200 end creel
- Five Dornier Looms
- Vald Henrikson Scouring Jig
- Marshall & Williams Horizontal Treater
- Menzel Roto Gravure Coater
SMC has the equipment to economically cut prepregs either into flat panel configurations or shaped patterns.
- Two Lectra Vector 2500 Vertical Knife Cutter
- Two Slitter Sheeter, 85” Width
SMC can mold either flat panels or contoured shapes up to 60” x 120” x 4” thick.
- Compression Molding – Hydraulic Presses capable of 200 to 1,500 ton
- Autoclave Molding capable of reaching 175 psi and temperature up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Three Ovens capable of 500 degrees Fahrenheit, two with vacuum ports
SMC operates CNC cutting equipment to transform molded pieces into finished parts of nearly any configuration.
- Four CNC abrasive waterjet cutting centers
- Five CNC machining centers, 3-axis
SMC will complete the part(s) with any needed bonding, hardware installation, priming/painting and final assembly.
- Two paint and finish booths
- Abrasive Grit Blast booth
SMC maintains all the procedures & test equipment to perform receiving, in-process and final inspection to ensure all materials, processes and parts meet customer requirements.
- Instron – Model 34TM-50 Dual Column Mechanical Test System.
- Hexagon Global S 12.22.10 CMM (1200 mm x 2200 mm x 1000 mm)
- FaroArm® 3D Measuring Arm
- Ballistics Range